Aalto U. as a kind of startup, says Tuula Teeri, president, responding to disruptions in a changing world.
Some points from her talk.
- Disruption from forests to ecosystems, from mobile phones to smartphones, from printed news to tablet publications, from lecture hall to online learning.
- University reform in Finland from 2010: Aalto University as a merged university from Helsinki University of Technology, School of Art and Design Helsinki, and Helsinki School of Economics.
- Gave universities more autonomy, and now have to prove it’s been the right decision
- Extra funding from government for 5 years, plus endowment capital.
- The top ten jobs in 2010 didn’t exist in 2004, says Sony.
- the amount of new technical information doubles every two years, which means that half of what is taught to students in first year is outdated by their third year in university.
- The answer: bottom up initiatives, in multidisciolinary learning by doing in Design Factory, Media Factory and Service Factory — using theoretical knowledge in real-world problems.
- New learning environments, Aalto on Waves on boats, and Aalto on Tracks on trains, not just learning events, designed with students.
- Open Innovation House new in 2012.
- Aalto Center for Entrepreneurship, will have education and research into building an effective innovation accelerator.